On this page we will be adding safety tips. Our goal is to help you live a safe life, at home in the car or traveling. This info is not only to save your life but people around you. You can save a life and not even know it. These tips are just guide lines.
* Your Dryer, Every time you use it you must clean out the lint basket. If you do not you are asking for trouble, such as a fire. How? the heating elements get hot and need air to cool them as they dry your clothes. The air path is over the heater then your clothes and out the lint basket. If the lint basket is plugged the elements start to get real hot and can ignite any lint that is around. The other thing you need to do is clean out your vent hose, this hose can get clogged with lint and water and can cause the same problem. This hose should be cleaned out periodically depending on frequency of dryer use.
* When driving in the morning or on a foggy day it is very important to have your lights on. This is to help others see you and if others do it you can see them in the distance. Remember in the morning everyone is just getting up and rushing around.
* CT state law is that when you windshield wipers are on you headlights must be on. Why? So that others can see you on the road. There are a lot of gray, white and silver vehicles on the road. These vehicles blend in so well in the fog, rain, snow, early morning light or dusk. Turning you lights on just says “Here I am”.
* Smoke/Co alarms. These are a must in any dwelling. Not just one but several in the proper location. The new units are now a combination of both, look for the ones with the 10 year batteries, you still should check them every month or so. If you live in an apartment it is your responsibility to maintain these alarms. If you neighbor does not change the battery or pulls it off the ceiling they are putting you and your family in danger.
* Fire safety, in the event of a building fire stay low. Heat and smoke rises, get close to the floor, there is air and visibility down there. If you get trapped find a room and close the door, put a blanket or something by the lower opening to keep the smoke out. get close to a window but not under it. If you are under the window and a Fireman comes through they will end up stepping on you. DO NOT HIDE UNDER THE BED OR IN THE CLOSED, PLEASE. if you can put a towel or some out the window and close it on it, it’s a marker.
* Fire safety, remember get out and stay out. Have a meeting place so once you get out you can gather, once the Fire Dept arrives you can let them know if everyone is out or where they may be. DO NOT GO BACK IN FOR PETS they are smarter than you think, they probably got out before you did and hiding.
* Cooking, if you have a grease fire NEVER PUT WATER ON IT this will cause the fire to explode spreading it all over the place and on you. If you can, shut off the heat and put a cover on it, than get out. If you have a fire extinguisher and know how to use it stand back and put your finger slightly over the nozzle and fan the extinguisher so it makes a blanket over the pan. ALWAYS CALL 911.
Here are two very important electrical safety tips.
* One, you should test your GFI outlets every month or so, to test all you have to do is press the “TEST” Button and it should click off and anything on that circuit will shut off. to reset it just hit the “RESET” button. that’s it. If it will not shut off or reset then the GFI needs to be replaced. remember the purpose of the GFI is to protect you or you love ones from getting an electrical shock which can lead to death.
* The second safety tip is, test your breakers in your electrical panel. this needs to be done yearly. All you have to do is flip it off and then back on. Why you ask???? Breakers cycle all the time, they heat up then cool down. This thermal ratcheting can cause the breaker to freeze in the on position and when it is needed it will not trip causing a house fire. So if you shut off the breaker by hand and it will not go back on replace it. You just saved your family and home from a terrible event.
These two tips are too simple to ignore, if you care take the time.
* For more tips click HERE